Saturday, December 15, 2007

Calendar says baby

Today is officially our 9-month mark - our "due date", if you will - according to the chronological baby-growing timeline. Of course, the due date based on the growth and size of the baby was last week. Then you have the notion that most first babies are born late. Although some aren't. But sometimes, you never know.


So no baby yet, is what we're saying.
We are ready, though! Here's proof:
What's that in the rear view mirror?



















Another mirror!
And what's that in the other mirror?
A ghost?
A baby?
Santa?
No...



















Car seat!

Buckled in, prepped and ready for transport.
I took no small amount of satisfaction installing this space-age green and silver baby pod. Though for safety's sake (and if time permits), we're bringing it in for a once-over by a certified car seat installation specialist. Also known as the VW dealer across town. I'd be a little more suspicious of this whole "you think you installed it correctly, but we'll just see about that" aspect if:
  1. It weren't about, you know, safety
  2. I wasn't a guy who likes to do everything right the first time
  3. It wasn't free (Cause it would be a freakin' RACKET otherwise)
I continue to be mildly suspicious (see also item #2 above), since the instruction manual seems to be written for semi-literate 2nd graders with ADD. Lots of pictures, bolded words and repetition of the most basic information.
Apparently, you should not install your car seat on the hood of the car (see fig.1), in your kitchen (fig. 2) or on top of your baby (fig. 3).
To review: Car seat goes In the car In the car In the car.

So we have our bags packed now, waiting by the door. The apartment is as ready as it's ever going to be, there's gas in the car and the car seat is prepped.

The truth is, we really can't wait to have this baby. If for no other reason than we'll have something to tell our families next time we call and I won't feel like I'm disappointing my co-workers every time I show up for work in the morning.
I mean, more than I usually do.

1 comment:

smatano said...

So ... wait, the baby is supposed to have her own seat? In the car? Where did you read that? Have we been doing it wrong?

Sigh.

I think car-seat instruction manuals are written by the Graco lawyers who automatically assume we are all out here just looking for a reason to sue them. And as soon as I find a lawyer who will represent me, I'm going after them for making our car seat weigh 40 pounds.